You can provide the tools necessary to deliver cutting-edge health care and groundbreaking research. As part of our Information Technology team, you’ll ensure that our medical professionals have access to the latest breakthroughs in technology, and you’ll play a key role in protecting our global patient community.
· Abstract clinical and pathological information according to the specific detailed guidelines for each of the agencies named above in the summary statement and assign ICD-0 codes. Enter the information into the computerized Cancer Registry database.
· Assign the appropriate accession/sequence number to each reportable case.
· Assign the appropriate SEER Summary stage of disease for all analytic cases. Assign the appropriate TNM stage to all analytic cases and Extent of Disease (EOD)
· Read and review clinical information and medical record documents in the on-line Patient Centric Information Management System (PCIMS), and the original medical record (when necessary) to obtain and verify the clinical information to abstract into the cancer database.
· Abstract treatment information as required.
· Abstract information with a high degree of accuracy (less than 3% error rate as required by the California Cancer Registry.
· Review Dermatology, Pathology, Diagnostic Indexes, autopsy reports, Death Certificates, Bone Marrow and other source documents to determine reportability of cases
· Enter reportable identified cases into Cancer Registry suspension file for abstracting
· Act as resource on abstracting and reportability of cases for other Cancer Data Center staff
· Conduct Patient Care Evaluation studies as requested for ACoS approval
· Assist with reporting of data as assigned
· Assist with data requests from UCLA physician researchers as assigned
Other duties as assigned
2. Detailed knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, pathology, and disease processes.
3. Detailed knowledge of ICD-0 coding classification scheme
4. Successful completion of an approved Cancer Registry certification program.
5. Ability to abstract clinical information from patient records and code data accurately into Cancer Registry database.
6. Excellent organizational skills in maintaining Cancer Data files.
7. Skill in prioritizing and performing a variety of duties within a system that has constantly changing priorities, assignments and deadlines.
8. Detailed knowledge of laws, rules and regulations affecting the confidentiality of medical information.
9. Skill in working independently and following through on assignments in an environment with frequent interruptions.
10. Skill in writing legibly and in using basic English words to complete concise documentation.
11. Skill in speaking clearly and distinctly using appropriate vocabulary and grammar to obtain and convey information to individuals at various organizational levels and to the general public.
12. Knowledge and understanding of functions and activities of various hospital departments contacted for source information to expeditiously coordinate follow up procedures.
13. Ability to work independently and exercise appropriate decisions in determining follow up actions and complete assignments in a timely manner.
14. Ability to judge system/procedure malfunction/discrepancies and circumstances to be referred to supervisor for immediate action.